25 Profound Works of Literary Genius

I'm about to embark on a series of posts that introduce 25 Profound Works of Literary Genius.

Originally, I planned to provide readers with an enormous list all at once; and I had 50 works on the list instead of 25!

As I started to think more deeply about these books, and write about them, I realized there was too much material for one post.

As Thoreau wisely remarks:
The youth gets together his materials to build a bridge to the moon, or perchance a palace or temple on the earth, and at length the middle-aged man concludes to build a wood-shed with them.
And so, regaining some perspective on the project, I've decided on a manageable 25. If the posts are a success, and I'm still passionate about my undertaking, I may do another 25.

About the list:

I've specifically chosen works that have affected me deeply. In some cases, these works altered my reality, life, or existence in general.

Many of the books and short stories, I've read more than once. This is literature that can be both enjoyed and appreciated for its aesthetic value.

I'm also avoiding works that tend to show up on every great books list. You will recognize some of these titles, but hopefully not all of them. The purpose of the list is to introduce some lesser known masterpieces.

With that said, the first profound work of literary genius is Robert Musil's The Man Without Qualities.

Note: This series of posts will be interwoven with my usual posts on art, culture, and life.

The List Thus Far

No comments:

Post a Comment