The Small Pleasure of Art Postcards


I recently took a trip to Chicago, and almost every time I go to Chicago now, I make it part of my schedule to visit the University of Chicago Seminary Coop Bookstore. This wonderful bookstore has books stacked from ceiling to floor, and you feel like you're walking through an underground labyrinth; the rooms branch out from deeper and deeper tunnels.

One of my significant finds, however, was not books but art postcards. Also known as art cards or art notecards. I looked on the Internet for a unique selection of art cards, but couldn't really find anything like I saw in the bookstore. Some sites, such as Pomegrante and Inkognito have art cards, but the true pleasure is in the diversity. The Seminary Coop has artcards from many different sellers and therefore makes these finds worthwhile.








Attribution: (from the top of the page)
1. Paul Bowles, circa 1949 by Karl Bissinger
2. Max Ernst, La Roue de la lumière (The Wheel of Light)
3. Dorothea Lange, Migrant Cotton Picker, Elroy, Arizona, 1940
4. Michael Sowa, Kurz Vor Dem Fest
5. Paul Gauguin, Nirvana: Portrait of Meyer de Haan, c. 1890
6. Hiroshige, From One Hundred Famous Views of Edo: 82 Moon-Viewing Point (8/1857)
7. Hiroshige, From One Hundred Famous Views of Edo: 27 Plum Garden, Kamata (2/1857)
8. Quint Buchholz, Mann Auf Einer Leiter

No comments:

Post a Comment